Rahul Gandhi stages sit-in with student over alleged pellet-gun use at protest
Rahul Gandhi protested outside a Delhi police station on Friday. He alleged police refused to register his complaint regarding student protests. Gandhi accused Home Minister Amit Shah of authorizing force against students. He linked the protest...

Gandhi accompanied Lochav to the office of the DCP, Central, and later to Parliament Street Police Station, pressing the police to act on the complaint and provide details of the case officer, Congress sources said.
Also Read: RSS tries to impose its view on all, says Congress leader Rahul Gandhi
According to the sources, Lochav and his lawyers first approached Delhi Police on August 14 and submitted a written complaint. They alleged that the police neither provided an I/O number nor acknowledged receipt of the complaint.
Our demand is that FIR be registered and name of investigating officer be shared; we're seeking justice for pellet victim's family, said Rahul Gandhi.
"A youth can be fired at, but Delhi Police, which is under Amit Shah's ministry, is not giving justice to pellet victim," the Leader of Opposition said.
The complaint was followed up again on August 17 through email and phone, but no I/O number or acknowledgement was provided, the sources said.
Gandhi and Lochav met senior police officials on Friday to seek registration of an FIR. The Congress sources alleged that the DCP's office again did not provide the case officer's details or the I/O number.
The complaint relates to alleged police action and excessive use of force, including the alleged firing of pellet guns, against students during the July 20 protest in Delhi. The complainant has claimed that the allegations constitute a cognisable offence warranting registration of an FIR.
Gandhi had earlier visited Mandir Marg Police Station to seek registration of the case but, according to sources, proceeded to the DCP's office after the complaint was not registered.
The Congress leader has repeatedly raised the issue in recent weeks, accusing the government and police of using excessive force against protesting students.
Addressing a news conference on July 29, Gandhi alleged that students had been fired at with pellet guns and said Union Home Minister Amit Shah was responsible for the "brutality" against the protesters.
Also Read: 'PM Modi's political rule in final phase, search for successor underway': Rahul Gandhi at CWC, say sources
"The (protesting students) were shot with pellet guns. One boy who was shot with a pellet gun is most likely to lose his eye and may not be able to see. I have seen the AIIMS medical certificate, which shows that he was shot with pellet guns. Shock batons were used, not just normal lathis, lathis with nails. Where did the police get this idea from?" he asked.
Gandhi said the alleged treatment of the students was a serious issue and questioned the use of force against young protesters.
"My issue is that where our students, people who are open-minded, ask questions, were brutalised on the streets of Delhi. They were shot with pellet guns... I have seen the medical certificate, AIIMS medical certificate... You can see a police officer slapping a minor... The brutalisation of our students is a fundamental issue," he added.
The alleged use of pellet guns and police action during the July 20 protest has also become a major political flashpoint, with the issue disrupting proceedings during the Monsoon session of Parliament.
With Gandhi now joining the alleged victim in a sit-in and demanding registration of an FIR, the confrontation over the police action shows no immediate signs of easing.
The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
The Economic Times News App for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.