Kumaraswamy alleges NICE takeover bid in Bengaluru, asks CM Shivakumar to disclose buyer

Union Minister HD Kumaraswamy alleged an attempt to take over the privately operated NICE road project. He questioned Chief Minister DK Shivakumar about the party behind this alleged move. The Karnataka High Court recently reviewed land acquisitio...

IANS
Union Minister for Heavy Industries and Steel H.D. Kumaraswamy
Bengaluru: Union Steel and Heavy Industries Minister HD Kumaraswamy on Monday alleged that an attempt was under way to take over the privately operated NICE road project in Bengaluru and asked chief minister DK Shivakumar to disclose who was behind the move.

Kumaraswamy told the media in Hassan district that he received “credible information” that an unidentified party was seeking to acquire the project from its promoters. He asked Shivakumar to clarify whether the state government was considering a takeover or whether there was a private party seeking control of the project.

“I want to ask the CM who has a stake in this? Who is trying to take over the project? These are questions that the CM himself must answer,” Kumaraswamy said.


The JD(S) leader also accused the Chief Minister of using public office for personal gain and alleged a disconnect between Shivakumar’s public statements and moves surrounding the NICE project. He warned that the Opposition would not compromise on any alleged misuse of official power.

The comments come amid renewed scrutiny of the Bengaluru-Mysuru Infrastructure Corridor Project (BMICP), following a Karnataka High Court ruling last month that upheld the cancellation of several land acquisition proceedings linked to the project and called for an independent probe and forensic audit. The court also raised concerns over the utilisation of acquired land and toll collection.

Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprises (NICE), promoted by businessman Ashok Kheny, operates the tolled peripheral and link roads in Bengaluru. The larger BMICP envisaged a 111-km expressway between Bengaluru and Mysuru, besides the peripheral and link roads. The project has been embroiled in legal and political disputes over land acquisition, compensation, project execution and toll collection for years.
ADVERTISEMENT

Kumaraswamy, who represents Mandya in the Lok Sabha, alleged that NICE’s primary interest had been in the valuable land surrounding Bengaluru rather than completing the entire corridor.

“They were interested in the valuable land around Bengaluru, not in completing the entire road,” he alleged.

He also reiterated his opposition to toll collection on the NICE roads and questioned whether the project would be handed over to another private entity or taken over by the government.

“Who exactly are you planning to hand over the entire project to? Is the government taking over the project, or are you, as the head of the government and the CM, taking it over yourself?” he asked.
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › Politics › Kumaraswamy alleges NICE takeover bid in Bengaluru, asks CM Shivakumar to disclose buyer
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+