Kanpur guard earning Rs 10,000 got a Rs 3 crore GST notice last year, lost his job, still running from pillar to post

Kanpur security guard Om Shukla, who earns Rs 10,000 a month, says he was wrongly issued a Rs 3 crore GST recovery notice over a firm called Om Enterprises that allegedly recorded more than Rs 17 crore in business. Shukla claims he never ran the f...

ANI


Kanpur security guard earning Rs 10,000 a month says he was wrongly served a Rs 3 crore GST notice over a Rs 17 crore business he never ran.

Eleven months after a Rs 3 crore tax notice landed on his doorstep, a Kanpur security guard earning Rs 10,000 a month is still reportedly trying to convince the system he never ran the business. Om Shukla received the GST recovery notice last year over a firm called Om Enterprises, which the department claims did more than Rs 17 crore in business. Shukla says he has never run any such firm. Nearly a year on, he has lost his ration card, his government benefits, and his job, and the case is only now reaching the desk of the Crime Branch.

The Notice That Started It All

As per the last year ANI report, the tax demand, dated September 21, 2025, said Shukla's firm, Om Enterprises, had done business worth more than Rs 17 crore. But Shukla denied owning any such firm. He worked as a night security guard for Rs 10,000 salary. After the GST notice, his ration card was cancelled, the government benefits attached to it stopped coming and because the tax liability sat on his name, banks also denied loans.

Eleven Months of Doors Closing

In the last one year, Shukla filed a police complaint, went to a GST office with a local traders' representative for support, only to be told to first submit a formal response to the notice. He wrote directly to GST headquarters in Delhi. Nothing moved.


He then reached out to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's office, hoping a higher authority could intervene. That effort also repotedly did not bring relief.

A Possible Break, Almost a Year Later

As per an India Today report, Kanpur Police Commissioner Raghubir Lal has now directed the Crime Branch to look into the case, after Shukla approached him on Tuesday, August 18, nearly eleven months after the notice was first issued.

According to the Police Commissioner's office, the working theory is identity theft, someone allegedly got hold of Shukla's documents and PAN card and used them to run a business in his name. The Police Commissioner has ordered strict action against whoever is responsible. Shukla, for his part, is convinced someone with access to his personal papers used them deliberately.
ADVERTISEMENT

A local traders' body has also taken up Shukla's case. It is preparing a formal response on his behalf to send to the Central GST authorities, in the hope of getting his tax liability cleared.

The group has also turned the spotlight on the GST Department itself, accusing officials of negligence. They have argued that activating a GST Identification Number (GSTIN) is supposed to involve several layers of verification, including a check of the actual business premises. If that process had been followed properly, they ask, how could a man earning Rs 10,000 a month have been shown running a business worth crores?
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › Trending › Kanpur guard earning Rs 10,000 got a Rs 3 crore GST notice last year, lost his job, still running from pillar to post
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+