Death toll in gold mine collapse in Central African Republic rises to more than 100

A gold mine collapse in western Central African Republic has claimed over one hundred lives. The low-tech artisanal mine collapsed Tuesday morning in the village of Zamboye. More than one hundred dead bodies have been recovered so far by relief ...

AP

Death toll in mine collapse in Central African Republic rises to more than 100

BANGUI, Central African Republic - The death toll from a gold mine collapse in a western part of Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, a Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts and a local official said Wednesday.

The low-tech, artisanal gold mine collapsed Tuesday morning in the village of Zamboye, in the Nana-Mambere prefecture, near the border with Cameroon.

Gervais Ganagoroh, a local Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts, said more than 100 dead bodies have been recovered so far, while several survivors are critically injured.


Bertrand Be Yangue, a member of the Zamboye youth council, also said the death toll is more than 100, adding that it's likely to rise, as several people are still missing and others are trapped under the rubble.
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › International › World News › Death toll in gold mine collapse in Central African Republic rises to more than 100
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+