Trump says no talks with Iran, naval blockade remains in force

United States President Donald Trump stated no talks are happening with Iran. He affirmed the naval blockade remains fully in effect and operational. The Strait of Hormuz is open and functioning, he also mentioned. All water mines in the strategic...

Agencies
Donald Trump
US President Donald Trump Tuesday said there are currently no talks or scheduled discussions with Iran, while claiming that the US naval blockade remains fully in effect.

"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran," Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

Trump also said the Strait of Hormuz remains open and operational, adding that all water mines in the strategic waterway had been removed or detonated.


"The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated," Trump said.

His remarks come amid heightened tensions between the US and Iran and ongoing uncertainty over efforts to ease the standoff.

Last Friday, Trump warned that Iran would face severe economic consequences, a day after Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington was preparing measures against Tehran that have "never been seen" and could come as early as the following week.
ADVERTISEMENT

Also Read | Trump criticises South Korea, says 'declined request to help US in Iran conflict'

The US, along with the United Nations and the European Union, has imposed sanctions, trade restrictions and asset freezes on Iran for decades. The measures date back to the late 1970s and have been linked to concerns over Iran’s nuclear programme, human rights record and alleged support for militant groups.

Washington has stepped up pressure since the war with Iran began in February, adding sanctions on the country’s maritime, energy and financial sectors while also putting a naval blockade in place.

Iran signals ‘fully offensive’ posture
ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Iran has threatened to shift to a "fully offensive" military posture as efforts to negotiate a permanent end to its war with the US have stalled, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday. The warning came after Washington ruled out extending a temporary ceasefire agreement.

Progress towards peace talks and a resumption of oil tanker traffic through ​the strategic Strait of Hormuz has ground to a halt, with no sign that the warring parties are moving towards ending the conflict that the U.S. and Israel launched with attacks on Iran on February 28.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Iranian entities must be prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and wider region, as Iran will be ready to make decisions and take action on difficult ‌decisions," the Iranian official ⁠said, adding ⁠that Tehran would conduct a "timely and precise" military attack to break the U.S. naval blockade if diplomacy failed.

Monday marked the day by which Iran and the U.S. were expected to reach a final peace agreement ​under a memorandum of understanding signed in June and aimed at ending the war.

Signed on June 17, the MoU set a 60-day timeframe for the U.S. and Iran to reach ​a broader deal on Iran's nuclear programme and U.S. sanctions.

The agreement, which declared the "immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts", quickly unravelled over a dispute about control of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow waterway through which a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas flowed before the war.

Asked by reporters ​on Monday if the U.S. was seeking to extend June's interim agreement, U.S. President Donald Trump said no.

Also Read | Iran offers $30,000 bounty for killing, capturing US soldiers

Trump threatens Oman

Trump on Monday also threatened to bomb Oman if it interferes with the US blockade of Iranian ships in the Strait of Hormuz, Fox News reported.

In a phone interview with the network, Trump said, “Oman gets in the way we’ll bomb the s—— out of them.” He said the blockade was putting pressure on Iran and added that he had no timeline for ending the conflict, stressing that he was not in a hurry.

The US-Iran conflict has now continued for nearly six months, with efforts to reach a lasting peace deal stalled and intermittent clashes disrupting the flow of oil and other commodities through the Strait of Hormuz.

The prolonged conflict has pushed up oil and gas prices, adding to economic pressure on the Trump administration. It has also emerged as a political challenge for Trump’s Republican Party ahead of the November midterm elections.

(With inputs from agencies)
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › International › Global Trends › Trump says no talks with Iran, naval blockade remains in force
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+