Kolkata hotel fire: Leaseholder of Hotel Shikha Inn Abu Zafar arrested; Two staff members detained
The leaseholder of Hotel Shikha Inn was arrested following a devastating fire. Nine people, including a child and five Bangladeshi nationals, died in the blaze. A Special Investigation Team was formed to probe the circumstances surrounding the tra...

The Hotel Shikha Inn fire killed nine people, prompting the leaseholder’s arrest, an SIT probe, and plans for wider hotel safety and permit inspections in Kolkata.
The arrested accused has been identified as Abu Zafar, who is the leaseholder of Hotel Shikha Inn on Mirza Ghalib Street, which caught fire on Wednesday.
According to Kolkata Police, Zafar was arrested from Entally Main Market in Kolkata.
Read more: SIT formed to investigate Kolkata hotel fire that killed 9; five Bangladeshi nationals among deceased
The fire broke out at the hotel in the early hours of Wednesday. Following the incident, Kolkata Police formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fire.
According to police, information about the fire was received at New Market Police Station at around 2 am. A police team immediately rushed to the spot, while the Fire Brigade and CESC authorities were alerted and asked to take urgent action.
After a prolonged rescue operation, police and Fire Brigade personnel rescued around 60 people from the hotel premises and brought them to safety.
Read more: At least 9, including foreign nationals, killed in Kolkata hotel fire
During the rescue operation, nine people, including two women and one child, were found unconscious and taken to Medical College and Hospital for treatment. Doctors later declared them dead.
Police said the situation in the area is currently under control, with adequate personnel deployed at the site. The incident site has been secured and preserved, and further action is being taken.
The exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained.
The Bangladesh Deputy High Commission in Kolkata said nine people were killed in the incident, including five confirmed Bangladeshi nationals. Four of them belonged to the same family and were from Kushtia, while the fifth was from Dhaka.
The Deputy High Commission said one of the other deceased was an Indian national, while the identities of three victims are yet to be confirmed.
It also said six injured Bangladeshi nationals had been discharged and that its officials were coordinating with local police and hospitals. A 24-hour helpline has also been established to assist Bangladeshi nationals.
Meanwhile, West Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul, who visited the site, said the state government was planning to form a team to check whether hotels operating in Kolkata have valid permits and fire licences.
Paul said around 10 hotels were being operated across three floors of the building, with small rooms, and said such arrangements could not be allowed.
The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
The Economic Times News App for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.