JPSC-JSSC exam protests: Students halt stir, give Jharkhand government 2-month ultimatum

Students protesting alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC recruitment examinations in Jharkhand suspended their agitation on Wednesday and gave the state government a two-month ultimatum to address their concerns. The decision was announced by t...

PTI

Students protesting JPSC-JSSC exam irregularities in Jharkhand halted their stir on Wednesday and gave the state government two months to resolve their concerns.

Students protesting alleged irregularities in government recruitment examinations in Jharkhand on Wednesday called off their month-long agitation and gave the state government two months to address their demands, the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch said.

The decision to suspend the protest was taken after the students’ group sought assurances on resolving issues related to recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC), according to the organisation.

Also read: Jharkhand protests: Hemant Soren accepts students’ demands as state Cabinet cancels JSSC-CGL exam


Soren government accepts key demands

The development follows Chief Minister Hemant Soren's announcement on Monday that the state Cabinet had decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination, amid the sustained protests.

Addressing the issue in Ranchi, Soren said the government had decided to scrap all activities associated with TDPL, including examinations, results and selections.

"Addressing all aspects of the issue, we have decided to cancel everything associated with TDPL—including the examinations conducted, the results published, the candidates selected or who participated, and all other activities carried out by TDPL."
ADVERTISEMENT

The Cabinet decision came after protesters had demanded action against alleged irregularities in state recruitment examinations. Students had also sought the cancellation and re-conduct of the preliminary civil services examination and an investigation into alleged malpractice.

Also read: Jharkhand student protesters urge Rahul Gandhi to come to protest site, withdraw support from govt

Protesters seek wider action

The agitation began in late July and intensified as candidates raised allegations of irregularities in recruitment examinations. Among their demands were a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe and a fast-track court to deal with cases related to alleged malpractice.

The controversy also escalated after the publication of the preliminary civil services examination results, with some candidates questioning the outcome and alleging possible manipulation. The state government had earlier said that allegations were being examined by its Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
ADVERTISEMENT

The protests subsequently received backing from political parties and youth groups, increasing pressure on the Soren government to address the concerns of job aspirants.
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › India › JPSC-JSSC exam protests: Students halt stir, give Jharkhand government 2-month ultimatum
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+