Jharkhand exam cancellations leave appointed candidates in limbo after govt cancels 22, probes 23

Jharkhand's government cancelled twenty-two recruitment examinations and ordered investigations into twenty-three others. This decision followed a twenty-six-day student protest concerning alleged recruitment irregularities. Successful candidate...

PTI
Jharkhand's government cancelled twenty-two recruitment examinations and ordered investigations into twenty-three others
The Jharkhand government has cancelled 22 recruitment examinations and ordered investigations into 23 others conducted by the state public service commission and an outsourced agency since 2014, amid a 26-day student protest over alleged irregularities in government recruitment exams.

The decision has, however, unsettled candidates who cleared some of the examinations and have already joined government departments.

Also Read: Jharkhand government releases list of 44 recruitment exams cancelled due to irregularities


Among the cancelled tests is the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level examination, prompting around 2,000 successful candidates to protest in Ranchi. The candidates marched from the state Secretariat to Birsa Chowk on Tuesday, a day after Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation.

The candidates said they had no objection to an investigation but opposed scrapping the entire examination. They argued that those found guilty should face action rather than candidates who were selected through the recruitment process.

“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out,” said Assistant Section Officer Kaushal Kumar, who sought a Central Bureau of Investigation probe or another independent inquiry into the alleged irregularities.
ADVERTISEMENT

The protesters said many of them had already joined departments including finance, home, road transport, labour and information and public relations. Some claimed they had left other government and public-sector jobs after being appointed through the examination.

The government’s decision followed a cabinet meeting on Monday and eight notifications issued late Tuesday night. It covers recruitment tests for several administrative, technical and judicial positions.

The cancelled examinations include those for drug inspectors, assistant professors in government engineering and medical colleges, lecturers in government polytechnics, senior scientific officers, assistant conservators of forests and forest range officers.

Several examinations have also been ordered to be probed, including different editions of the Jharkhand Combined Civil Services Examination and recruitment tests for food safety officers, child development project officers, food analysts, deputy director (prosecution), project managers, inspectors of factories and boilers, agriculture officers, geologists and chemists, among other posts.
ADVERTISEMENT

The government said the action was aimed at restoring confidence in the recruitment system following allegations of malpractice and irregularities.

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has been leading the student protest at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, said it would decide its next course of action after getting clarity on how the government's decisions would be implemented.
ADVERTISEMENT

“Our meeting is underway,” spokesperson Piyush Kumar Singh said.

JLKM leader Devendra Mahto, who ended his 16-day hunger strike after the government announced the measures, has said he would launch a second phase of agitation. He has sought assurances that future examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission will be free of paper leaks and other irregularities. He has also demanded a monitoring committee and a comprehensive audit of the recruitment process.

As part of the reforms, the government plans to request the high court to set up a fast-track court for cases linked to alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations. Internal vigilance cells are also proposed for both commissions.

A committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been tasked with recommending reforms to the two commissions. It has been given two months to examine the recruitment process and suggest measures to prevent paper leaks, manipulation and other malpractice.

Meanwhile, the investigation into the alleged recruitment irregularities has intensified. Jharkhand CID arrested Sushma Kumari, wife of key accused Abhay Tiwari, and his brother Akshay Tiwari after questioning them for several hours.

Tiwari, a former TDPL employee who was posted as a block supply officer in Poriyahat in Godda district, was arrested by the CID on July 22.

Investigators said Tiwari had qualified for around 12 competitive examinations over 13 years, including tests conducted by the police, Navy, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Central Reserve Police Force and Northern Coalfields. His application forms, documents, evaluation records and selection details are being examined.

According to officials, Tiwari told investigators that different “rate charts” were allegedly used for candidates seeking to qualify in competitive examinations, with payments allegedly ranging from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 70 lakh. These allegations are part of the ongoing investigation and have not been established in court.

Also Read: Jharkhand exam stir enters 23rd day, students to burn effigies of CM Soren, Rahul Gandhi

The CID also questioned JSSC Secretary Sudhir Gupta for several hours after evidence was recovered during a raid at the commission’s office. The latest arrests have taken the number of accused held in the case to 22.

The political response to the cancellations has been divided. A Congress delegation of ministers and legislators met Soren and welcomed the decision, saying it would protect students seeking fair recruitment.

Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi, however, accused the JMM-led government of “cheating” protesting students by cancelling the examinations without accepting their demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation probe.

(With inputs from PTI)
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › India › Jharkhand exam cancellations leave appointed candidates in limbo after govt cancels 22, probes 23
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+