Jharkhand protests: Hemant Soren accepts students’ demands as state Cabinet cancels JSSC-CGL exam
Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced that the state Cabinet had decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level examination amid protests by students and aspirants. Soren said the decision co...
The decision came after weeks of protests by students and government job aspirants in Jharkhand, who have been demanding action over alleged irregularities in state recruitment examinations.
Also read: Jharkhand student protesters urge Rahul Gandhi to come to protest site, withdraw support from govt
The protesters had also sought cancellation and re-conduct of the preliminary civil services examination and a probe into alleged malpractice in recruitment tests.
Addressing the issue in Ranchi, Soren said the government had decided to scrap all activities associated with TDPL, including examinations, results and selections.
"Addressing all aspects of the issue, we have decided to cancel everything associated with TDPL—including the examinations conducted, the results published, the candidates selected or who participated, and all other activities carried out by TDPL."
The protests began in late July and intensified after candidates raised allegations of irregularities in recruitment examinations. Students had demanded an investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and a fast-track court to deal with cases related to alleged malpractice.
The controversy had widened following the publication of preliminary civil services examination results, with some candidates questioning the results and alleging possible manipulation. The state government had earlier said that allegations were being investigated by its Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Also read: Jharkhand students escalate protest; announce August 20 siege of CM's residence
The protests have drawn support from political parties and youth groups, adding to pressure on the Soren government to address the concerns of job aspirants.
Soren's announcement on Monday effectively accepts the protesters' demand for action on the disputed recruitment process, with the Cabinet decision now paving the way for the examination and related outcomes to be scrapped.
The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
The Economic Times News App for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.