Delhi Police tells SC facial recognition at Jantar Mantar protest targeted only known criminals

Delhi Police told the Supreme Court it used “maximum restraint but minimum required force” during student protests at Jantar Mantar over exam paper leaks. In an affidavit, it defended facial recognition technology, saying it identified only people...

Agencies
Delhi Police defended its use of facial recognition and force during Jantar Mantar protests, telling the Supreme Court the technology targeted only people with criminal records and that officers exercised restraint. ( File Image)
New Delhi: Delhi Police told SC on Tuesday that its personnel used "maximum restraint but minimum required force" and that the facial recognition software deployed during student protests at Jantar Mantar over examination paper leaks only captured the images of criminals or history-sheeters.

The Delhi Police submitted this in an affidavit sworn by DCP Sachin Sharma, which stated the crowd turned violent and breached many layers of barricades in bid to march towards Parliament.

On facial recognition software, Delhi Police said that the use of the technology was a proportionate policing measure. The affidavit said the software does not automatically capture the profiles of every individual present at the protest site, nor is it deployed for indiscriminate surveillance or collection of personal information of peaceful protesters unless they have a previous criminal record.


The affidavit has been filed in response to petitions alleging police excesses against Cockroach Janta Party and other protesters at Jantar Mantar.

Solicitor general Tushar Mehta told a three-member bench headed by CJI Surya Kant that the technology captures the faces of only those persons whose details are recorded in the crime database.

The affidavit further claims that no action is taken solely on the basis of facial recognition software. Field verification is also carried out to ascertain whether the person in question was present at the site. Detailing the sequence of events, the affidavit said although permission for a dharna was granted only for June 20, post 5 pm, the protesters did not vacate the venue.
ADVERTISEMENT

The affidavit added the agitation escalated after a call was given for a march towards Parliament on July 20. It further said "permission was neither sought nor granted for any 'Chalo Sansad' march" and that prohibitory orders under Section 163 of BNSS had been in force in New Delhi since June 21.
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › India › Delhi Police tells SC facial recognition at Jantar Mantar protest targeted only known criminals
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+