Assam-registered vehicles stopped, turned back from Meghalaya despite drivers’ unions suspending blockade
Assam-registered vehicles faced restrictions entering Meghalaya despite a suspended blockade by drivers. Tourists experienced disruptions along the Guwahati-Shillong corridor due to the ongoing impasse. Meghalaya expressed regret and assured act...

Drivers from Assam who went to Meghalaya alleged that Assam vehicles were being barred from entering Meghalaya at points including Byrnihat and Umiam (Barapani).
The restrictions reportedly disrupted movement along the Guwahati-Shillong corridor, with some tourists forced to walk between Byrnihat and Jorabat. “We are being directed to return from Barapani. The protesters there said the Meghalaya government has addressed the concerns of Assam drivers but has not held discussions with Meghalaya drivers’ unions. They informed us that a meeting with the Meghalaya government is scheduled.”
The agitation on the Assam side had been suspended after three days. The latest development followed a decision by the All-Khasi Meghalaya Tourist Taxi Association to continue its strike against Assam-registered tourist vehicles.
Drivers in Meghalaya said that Assam tourist vehicles would not be allowed into Meghalaya and directed local tourist operators to restrict their services to Jorabat.
Tourists are facing hovering time due the border impasse. Tension along the Assam- Meghalaya border was triggered after several people from Assam were injured and vehicles damaged and torched during the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) black-flag bike rally across Shillong on Wednesday. Assam-based taxi and commercial vehicle drivers blocked traffic to Meghalaya at Khanapara and Jorabat. On the Meghalaya side there is a counter blockade.
Assam Border Protection and Development Minister Atul Bora and Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar held a high-level meeting with senior officials of both states in Guwahati on Saturday.
Dhar stated, “Meghalaya expressed regret over the incidents and assured strong action against those responsible. Student Union office-bearers were arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act; 15 FIRs had been registered. Five people had been identified in connection with the violence, particularly attacks on Assam Rifles personnel.”
The joint statement stated, “A Special Investigation Team (SIT) was constituted to identify and prosecute those involved. More than 3,070 Assam residents had been safely escorted into Assam. Assam's control room had received 54 distress calls involving 174 people, including 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles. Meghalaya's control room had received 379 distress calls and was assisting with safe transit. Approximately 402 private vehicles and other stranded travellers were being moved through designated transit corridors. An integrated coordination mechanism and toll-free helplines/online support were to be established. A joint committee of officials from Shillong and Kamrup Metropolitan was proposed to resolve day-to-day interstate border issues. Another joint committee involving transport authorities and tourist vehicle associations was proposed to regulate tourist movement.”
The joint statement added, “Both governments agreed to ensure safe transit of passengers and vehicles between Assam and Meghalaya. Meghalaya reiterated that it would take responsibility for the safety and security of tourists and vehicle travellers from Assam and elsewhere while they were in the state.”
The Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) held a black-flag bike rally across Shillong in which several vehicles were torched and vandalised on Wednesday. The student organisation had called the rally after the expiry of its 15-day ultimatum to the state government over a five-point charter of demands which included cancellation of the July 31 public hearing for the proposed Cement project in East Jaintia Hills.
Drivers’ associations in Assam are demanding an apology from Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma and Tourism Minister Timothy D. Shira, besides adequate compensation from the Meghalaya government.
Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee Working President Deborah C Marak has called on the Meghalaya government to expedite the expansion and strengthening of airport infrastructure in the State so that its dependency on Assam for air activities is substantially reduced, while questioning the government’s failure to anticipate the recent violence, ensure adequate security deployment and protect ordinary citizens and tourists.
Marak said the disruptions at key entry points, coupled with inadequate security presence, had exposed vulnerabilities in Meghalaya’s connectivity infrastructure and could adversely affect the State’s tourism-dependent economy.
Marak said the vandalism of vehicles and incidents involving innocent people and tourists were deeply concerning, while the subsequent blockade at Jorabat, one of the principal gateways to Meghalaya, further aggravated the situation and caused inconvenience to the public.
The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
The Economic Times News App for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.