Anti-reservation protests: Over 20 detained as around 300 gather at Delhi's Connaught Place seeking quota reforms

Around 300 people gathered in Delhi to protest caste-based reservation policies. Protesters demanded reforms, emphasizing economic criteria for government support and assistance. Police detained over twenty individuals as the demonstration lacke...

ANI
Several detained as anti-reservation protesters gather at Delhi's Connaught Place
Around 300 people gathered at the outer circle of Connaught Place in Delhi on Sunday to protest against caste-based reservation and demand reforms to the quota system, with police detaining more than 20 protesters, officials told news agency PTI.

What are key demands?

The protesters raised slogans and carried placards, calling for greater emphasis on economic criteria when determining eligibility for reservation and government support. They argued that such assistance should reach economically disadvantaged people irrespective of caste.

Police said more than 20 protesters were detained and removed from the site as the demonstration had not been granted permission.


Police maintained a presence at Connaught Place as the gathering was cleared from the protest site.

A key demand raised during the demonstration was the introduction of a creamy-layer criterion and a review of the existing reservation framework.

Protesters also sought changes in policies concerning Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We are not against reservation. We want reforms in reservation. The government should understand that poor people from all communities also face difficulties and their concerns should be heard," a protester told PTI.

Another participant said the existing system should be examined to ensure that its benefits reach those who genuinely need support.

The protesters also raised concerns over the University Grants Commission framework and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, seeking a broader review of policies they said affected opportunities in education and employment.

The demonstration is part of a mobilisation that has largely taken place through social media. The "Reservation Hatao Andolan", an Instagram-based page with around 5.6 million followers, had called on its followers to join a physical demonstration in Delhi after building an online campaign around reservation reforms.
ADVERTISEMENT

Two days earlier, hundreds of people had gathered at Jantar Mantar following the campaign's call. Police detained several protesters after they gathered at the site, while a separate police-approved demonstration under the same banner had been allowed at Ramlila Ground for up to 500 people until 4 pm.
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › India › Anti-reservation protests: Over 20 detained as around 300 gather at Delhi's Connaught Place seeking quota reforms
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+