Chandrasekaran, Noel Tata separately briefed govt on rift, concerns before chairman's exit

Tata leaders recently updated government officials on internal conflicts and strategic rifts within the conglomerate. Issues concerning business initiatives, appointments, and Air India’s financial woes were highlighted. Following Noel Tata's visi...

ET Online

N Chandrasekaran’s decision to step down in February came after he, Noel Tata separately met government officials to discuss Tata Group's internal rift. (This is an AI-generated image)

The top Tata brass, outgoing chairman N Chandrasekaran and Tata Trusts chairman Noel Tata briefed senior government functionaries on the turmoil inside the conglomerate ahead of the chairman's announcement last Wednesday that he would step down as Tata Sons chairman in Feb, people familiar with the matter told The Times of India.

The engagement with the government officials covered the rift between Chandrasekaran and Noel Tata over strategy and governance, lingering uncertainty over whether Chandrasekaran would be reappointed and the direction of new business ventures, the cited sources said.

Also read: Who really owns Tata Group? The trusts behind Tata Sons


Government leaders held separate meetings with both the Tata officials, though TOI could not independently confirm the exact dates and the substance of those engagements, which also included concerns related to some appointments, the losses incurred by Tata Grou-owned carrier Air India and Tata's digital platforms as well as semiconductor ventures.

Noel Tata visits Delhi

According to the report, Noel Tata visited the national capital over the weekend with dates coinciding with the Independence Day celebrations and the Parsi New Year holiday, but sources denied any meeting with government functionaries during the weekend trip.

The weekend trip taken by the Tata official concerned the group's retail arm Trent and was not linked to the conglomerate's succession developments, people close to him told the publication. Noel Tata serves as non-executive chairman of Trent, a role he will relinquish this November under the group’s retirement limit of 70 years.
ADVERTISEMENT

The timing of his trip, amid growing uncertainty over Chandrasekaran’s successor, drew attention, especially since he has no involvement in Trent’s day-to-day operations.

Also read: The Chandra Chronicles: Tracing the chairman's journey since 2017

Did the government invite the Tata leaders?

The report clarified that it is not usual for the country’s political leadership to be apprised of internal dynamics at a private-sector corporate group that is not undergoing a financial crisis or insolvency process, however governments keep themselves aware on systematically important businesses.

In this case, the government functionaries heard out the Tata group leadership ensuring that it did not side with any of the factions, and it was Chandrasekaran and Noel who reached out to officials.
ADVERTISEMENT

The government’s interest in developments within the Tata group is not unprecedented.

Earlier in 2025, about a year after Noel Tata succeeded his half-brother Ratan Tata as chairman of Tata Trusts, differences among the Trusts that control Tata Sons, led Noel Tata, Chandrasekaran and other trustees, including TVS Motor chairman emeritus Venu Srinivasan, to hold separate discussions with senior government officials. The meetings focused on resolving the divisions within the Trusts and addressing proposed regulations governing Tata Sons’ corporate structure.
ADVERTISEMENT

The recent meetings between Tata leadership and government officials came almost two months after Noel Tata met senior Reserve Bank of India (RBI) officials in June 2026 over a potential Tata Sons initial public offering (IPO), a move that would dilute Trusts’ control over the company.

Speaking to TOI, a trustee argued that the recurring tensions between the chairman of Tata Sons and the chairman of the Trusts, first during the Cyrus Mistry era and now under Chandrasekaran, point to a structural problem requiring a long-term solution in the group.

“You have to find a way out,” the trustee told the publication, adding that an IPO is one such solution, which would redefine the relationship between the company and its dominant shareholder.

N Chandrasekaran, widely known as Chandra, became the latest high-profile exit on August 12, saying he would not seek reappointment as chairman of Tata Sons when his current term ends on February 20, 2027. His announcement followed the gradual withdrawal of Ratan Tata's trusted executives Vijay Singh and Mehli Mistry.



Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Business News › News › Company › Corporate Trends › Chandrasekaran, Noel Tata separately briefed govt on rift, concerns before chairman's exit
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+