NTA removes over 50 staff, begins system overhaul after UGC-NET errors
The National Testing Agency removed over fifty staff members following examination errors. A major overhaul of its examination system is now underway. Professionals are being hired for key roles in test security and technology. Re-tests for three ...

The NTA's move came a day after it announced that the UGC-NET examinations for English, Commerce and Sociology would be conducted again. The English and Commerce papers will be held on September 9, while Sociology will be conducted on September 10.
Also Read: NTA accepts multiple flaws in 3 UGC-NET papers, orders re-test
NTA officials said the agency acted after receiving several complaints about errors in the three papers. A committee was formed to examine the complaints and recommended re-conducting the papers to ensure a fair and error-free examination.
"The committee identified the anomalies in the three subjects and recommended that, in the interest of holding a fair and error-free examination, these three papers should be re-conducted. It was recommended that papers carrying such defects did not meet the standards of fairness and error-free examination," the NTA said.
The agency said its internal processes and protocols were being reviewed to prevent similar problems in future. "The task of an examination-conducting agency is not only to conduct error-free examinations, but also to act promptly and honestly whenever an anomaly is found," a source said.
Also Read: CBSE declares Class 10 Second Board exam results 2026; overall pass percentage at 96.78%
The source added that the NTA had taken responsibility for the errors and corrective action instead of covering up the issue.
"The willingness to identify problems proactively, to admit them, and to act, even where action is difficult, is itself the foundation of a more accountable examination system.
"An agency that conducts examinations at this scale will occasionally encounter problems; what defines its credibility is that it finds them, owns them, and corrects them in the interest of candidates," the source said.
NTA begins leadership overhaul
Education Minister Pralhad Joshi held a meeting with the Department of Higher Education secretary, NTA director general and other senior officials to review the measures taken after the recent examination issues.The ministry said Joshi was informed that more than 50 staff members had been removed from the NTA.
Ten new professional leadership positions have also been advertised, including chief technology officer, chief finance officer, chief information security officer, general manager for test security and general manager for research and development and psychometrics.
The ministry said domain specialists from the private sector were also being brought in for cybersecurity, psychometrics, question paper design and other specialised areas.
Joshi directed officials to ensure strict compliance with examination protocols and carry out a complete overhaul of confidential operations, including secluded rooms, air-gapped systems and device deposit protocols.
The NTA has also been directed to conduct a detailed audit of its examination processes and submit a report on the corrective measures taken.
Opposition, student groups target NTA
The latest measures came as the NTA faced protests from several student organisations and criticism from opposition parties over the re-test decision.The National Students Union of India (NSUI), Students' Federation of India (SFI), All India Students' Association (AISA) and Krantikari Yuva Sangathan (KYS) held protests in Delhi and announced nationwide demonstrations against the NTA.
The Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) also expressed concern over the issue. Its National General Secretary Virendra Singh Solanki said students' future cannot be compromised and the NTA must be held accountable.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi also targeted the government and demanded accountability from the NTA leadership.
"this is no longer an education system. It is an extraction machine". He said the resignation of Dharmendra Pradhan was the first step, not the last. "NTA's leadership must be held accountable too," he demanded.
The Aam Aadmi Party said the issue was not a "minor error" but a failure that was costing students their time, money, mental peace and opportunities.
The NTA conducted the UGC-NET June 2026 examination from June 22 to 30 across 87 subjects. The examination determines eligibility for junior research fellowship and assistant professor positions and is also used for admission to PhD programmes.
The NTA said the decision to re-conduct the three papers was taken in the interest of candidates and to strengthen accountability in the examination system.
The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.