Gangster Vikas Dubey shot dead in encounter while being taken to Kanpur

The UP Police said the car in which he was being brought back over-turned after an accident around 6:30 AM in Bhauti, just 30 minutes short of Kanpur city. Dubey snatched a pistol from STF men who were injured in the accident and tried to flee, th...

Gangster Vikas Dubey killed in encounter on way to Kanpur
Gangster Vikas Dubey was killed in an encounter early morning on Friday while the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) was taking him by road from Ujjain to Kanpur.

UP police said their personnel fired at him when Dubey tried to flee after the car carrying him skidded and toppled in heavy rains at around 6.30 am in Bhauti , 30 minutes before reaching Kanpur city.

"Vikas Dubey snatched a pistol from the injured STF men in the car and attempted to flee after the car overturned. Police tried to make him surrender, during which he fired at the policemen. He was injured in retaliatory firing by police. He was later rushed to the hospital," SSP Kanpur Dinesh Kumar told reporters.

The STF took him to a hospital in Kanpur with a bullet wound in the chest where doctors declared him dead.

The pistol with which he fired at the police was found lying on the spot next to where Dubey was shot, police said.

Soon after the news of the encounter broke, Opposition leaders in both UP and MP raised questions.“The car has not toppled…the government has been saved from being toppled due to secrets being exposed,” former UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav tweeted. Congress leader Digvijaya Singh said what was suspected had happened, and that many secrets of Dubey’s political connections would now remain buried.

Dubey, who was on the run for six days after his gang gunned down eight policemen in Kanpur’s Chaubeypur, was nabbed by security guards outside the Mahakaleshwar Temple in Ujjain on Thursday.

The Ujjain police took him into custody along with his accomplices Bittu and Suresh. Five of his key henchmen had been killed in encounters by the UP Police over the last few days
During interrogation, sources said, Dubey admitted he was tipped off by his sources in the UP police about the raid on the night of July 2 and that he wanted to burn the bodies of the eight policemen his gang had gunned down.

Despite an alert against him, Dubey had dodged the police of UP, Haryana, Rajasthan and MP for six days and travelled 1,300 km across the states, after escaping from Chaubeypur in the early hours of July 3.

After staying in Kanpur for two days, he had left for Faridabad, where he stayed for three days and escaped to Rajasthan. He arrived in Ujjain by road from Kota, according to MP Home Minister Narottam Mishra, carrying a fake identity card to hoodwink the police.
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.




More from our Partners

Loading next story
Text Size:AAA
This article has been saved