Sun, sand and the sea: Prince Harry and Meghan move to home in Santa Barbara

The couple were previously living in Meghan's hometown Los Angeles.

Getty Images
Markle and Harry have spoken of their desire to "to do something of meaning, to do something that matters," in California, where they plan to launch a wide-ranging non-profit organization named Archewell.
LOS ANGELES: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have purchased and moved into a new family home in Santa Barbara, an affluent seaside city outside Los Angeles, according to US media reports.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex - who quit frontline British royal duties this year - were previously living in Meghan's hometown Los Angeles, where they became quickly embroiled in a legal battle with paparazzi over photos taken of their son Archie.

The pair "moved into their family home in July of this year" and have "settled into the quiet privacy of their community," a spokesperson said in a statement to AFP, without confirming the new location.


They "hope that this will be respected for their neighbors, as well as for them as a family," the spokesperson added.

According to People and Page Six, their new house is in Santa Barbara, a wealthy community 100 miles up the coast from Los Angeles which is also home to Oprah Winfrey and Ellen DeGeneres.

"This is where they want to bring Archie up, where they hope he can have as normal a life as possible," an anonymous source told Page Six.
ADVERTISEMENT

The source added: "Harry and Meghan never intended to make Los Angeles their home."

The pair filed a lawsuit last month in Los Angeles against paparazzi whom they accuse of taking pictures of their son without permission.

"The couple recently learned that someone is shopping photographs of their 14-month-old son, Archie, falsely claiming to have taken them on a 'recent' public outing 'in Malibu,'" the complaint, filed for invasion of privacy, said.

The snapshots were actually taken during "activities in the backyard of the residence, unbeknownst" to the couple, it said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The couple were reportedly living at the Los Angeles home of media tycoon Tyler Perry at the time.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex relocated to California via Canada after announcing in January that they intended to quit royal life and "work to become financially independent."
ADVERTISEMENT

Markle and Harry have spoken of their desire to "to do something of meaning, to do something that matters," in California, where they plan to launch a wide-ranging non-profit organization named Archewell.

In April, they worked with a charity to hand out meals to chronically ill people in Los Angeles during the coronavirus lockdown.

The couple are "intent on being of service" and seeing their new home "through the lens of philanthropy," Richard Ayoub, the charity's CEO, told AFP at the time.

See You In Court: Prince Harry, Meghan Markle & Other Royals Who Battled It Out With Media
1/6

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly taking legal action against two tabloids for phone hacking and the unauthorised publication of a private letter. A look at other royals who battled it out with the media.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly taking legal action against two tabloids for phone hacking and the unauthorised publication of a private letter. A look at other royals who battled it ..
Read More

In 1993, Princess Diana sued the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) because the Sunday Mirror published secretly-taken pictures of the royal exercising in a gym. She also sought a permanent ban on the publication of the pictures, which showed the princess clad in a leotard and cycling shorts. The paper apologised, and an out-ofcourt settlement was reached. In addition to the apology, the paper reportedly paid Diana’s legal costs of 1 million pounds plus a fur ther 200,000 pounds to charity.

In 1993, Princess Diana sued the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) because the Sunday Mirror published secretly-taken pictures of the royal exercising in a gym. She also sought a permanent ban on the p..
Read More

Princess Caroline is the daughter of the legendary Hollywood star Grace Kelly and Rainier III, Prince of Monaco. She had a troubled relationship with the media growing up. In 2004, Caroline, represented by Matthias Prinz, won a landmark victory in the European Court of Human Rights, which confirmed that the publishing of paparazzi photographs taken of the princess in a public place was a violation of her right to privacy. The court drew a distinction between the activities of Caroline the princess and Caroline the woman.

Princess Caroline is the daughter of the legendary Hollywood star Grace Kelly and Rainier III, Prince of Monaco. She had a troubled relationship with the media growing up. In 2004, Caroline, repres..
Read More

Following Princess Caroline’s triumph in court, the Swedish family hired Matthias Prinz to represent them in court. It has been reported that in 2004, Prinz, on behalf of the Swedish royal family and chiefly King Carl XVI Gustaf and his German-born wife Queen Silvia, sued Germany’s biggest publishers over claims of 1,588 made-up stories, including more than 500 front-page ‘exclusives’. It has been reported that Prinz filed cases of defamation and invasion of privacy, which resulted in over 23 media outlets to print replies, apologies and retractions.

Following Princess Caroline’s triumph in court, the Swedish family hired Matthias Prinz to represent them in court. It has been reported that in 2004, Prinz, on behalf of the Swedish royal family a..
Read More

Prince Al-waleed is a Saudi billionaire, investor and a member of the royal family. In 2013, Forbes estimated his fortune at around $20 billion, which, the royal claimed, was less than the amount he disclosed to the magazine. The prince filed a defamation claim in London against the editor and two journalists. The Kingdom Holding Company, founded by Prince Al-Waleed, issued a statement saying that the magazine published a “deliberately insulting and in accurate description of the business community in Saudi Arabia”. In 2015, Forbes and Al-Waleed released statements that they had settled the dispute.

Prince Al-waleed is a Saudi billionaire, investor and a member of the royal family. In 2013, Forbes estimated his fortune at around $20 billion, which, the royal claimed, was less than the amount h..
Read More

In 2012, Kate Middleton and Prince William were vacationing in the south of France when paparazzi clicked some photos of the Duchess sunbathing topless. Two French magazines published the photos. In 2017, the Duke and Duchess sued six people in connection with the scandal. The French court found the photos to be an intrusion of privacy and fined the media outlets.

In 2012, Kate Middleton and Prince William were vacationing in the south of France when paparazzi clicked some photos of the Duchess sunbathing topless. Two French magazines published the photos. I..
Read More

Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+