- Eight of top 10 firms lose Rs 1.57 lakh cr in market valuation27-09-2020 06:01The market valuation of Reliance Industries Limited tumbled Rs 70,189.95 crore to Rs 14,88,797.82 crore.
- Central Bank of India closes Rs 255-cr QIP; issue price fixed25-09-2020 17:30The capital raising committee of the bank at its meeting held on September 25 passed the resolution and approved the closure of the issue period for the QIP, it said in a regulatory filing.
- NSE-BSE bulk deals: World’s oldest SWF laps up Eris Lifesciences25-09-2020 16:19Kuwait Investment Authority A/C Kuwait Investment Auth Fund 225 bought 14,54,175 shares of Eris Lifesciences at Rs 540 per share, while Himanshu Jayantbhai Shah sold 18,00,000 shares of the company at Rs 540.05 per share.
- Canara Bank to raise up to Rs 2,000 crore equity capital25-09-2020 11:40The bank's board at its meeting held on Friday decided to raise an "additional equity share capital amounting up to Rs 2,000 crore, including securities premium, through the QIP route, it added.
- D-Street rally in numbers: 351 stocks hit upper circuits, 94 at one-year high, 28 soar 10-40%25-09-2020 11:25Here are stocks and sectors which gained the most in Friday's market.
- Sensex takes a 835-point U-turn; investors richer by Rs 3.53 lakh crore25-09-2020 10:48“In spite of the rally seen today, the market is expected to remain volatile and directionless in the absence of solid triggers. Global cues will continue to be in focus as a resurgence in virus cases around the world leads to more restrictions and more pressure on the economic recovery,” said Vinod Nair, Head of Research at Geojit Financial Services.
- Sensex rallies 835 points; Nifty reclaims 11,000, Voda Idea soars 12%, HCL Tech 5%25-09-2020 10:28CLOSING BELL: Sensex stages rebound after 6-day fall, rallies 835 points; Nifty reclaims 11,000; Voda Idea soars 12%, HCL Tech 5%Sensex rallies 835 points; Nifty reclaims 11,000, Voda Idea soars 12%, HCL Tech 5%
- Share price of ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd. falls as Sensex gains 740.66 points25-09-2020 08:44A total of 73,782 shares changed hands on the counter till 02:14PM (IST)
- Havells India Ltd. shares fall 1.37 per cent in Friday's trading session25-09-2020 08:39The Relative Strength Index of the stock stood at 54.67 on Friday.
- Bajaj Holdings & Investment Ltd. shares down 1.34% as Nifty falls25-09-2020 08:34The stock quoted a 52-week high price of Rs 3949.35 and low of Rs 1471.85.
The Sensex, also known as the sensitivity index, is the benchmark index of BSE Limited and is the most widely tracked equity gauge in India.
Officially known as the S&P BSE Sensex since February, 2013, the index captures the performance of the top 30 largest, most liquid and financially stable companies from across major sectors of the Indian economy that are listed on the exchange. It reflects the health of the equity market, investor sentiment and broadly the state of the economy.
The Sensex was launched on January 1, 1986, with the base value of 100 set on April 1, 1979. The credit for coining the term, Sensex, goes to Deepak Mohoni, a stock market analyst and IIT, Kanpur graduate and IIM, Calcutta alumnus.
As of September 20, 2017, the index was hovering above the 30,000 mark. It is the oldest index in the country, while the Bombay Stock Exchange, now called BSE Limited, is the oldest exchange in Asia.
The Sensex is managed and operated by a joint venture between BSE and S&P Dow Jones Indices, a global index manager. The composition of the Sensex is recast or modified from time to time to represent the true composition of the market.
Stocks in the eligible universe must satisfy the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for inclusion in the Sensex. First of all, the stocks must have a listing history of at least six months on BSE. An exception may be granted if the average float-adjusted market capitalisation of a newly-listed stock ranks in the top 10 of all stocks listed on BSE. In such a case, the minimum listing history required is one month.
The qualified stock has to trade on every trading day on BSE during the six-month reference period. Also, the eligible companies must have reported revenues for the preceding four quarters.
BSE on December 6, 2016 launched the S&P BSE Sensex50 index, which is designed to measure the performance of the 50 largest and most liquid companies within the S&P BSE100 index.
Investors, traders and anyone keen on the equity market can track Sensex quotes live on BSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and countless other websites and TV channels from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm on all weekdays. Financial markets in India remain closed on Saturday, Sunday and on select public holidays such as Independence Day, Holi, Republic Day, etc.
Sensex live graphs and figures are available on the BSE website. Besides Sensex live updates, one can also track real-time data of a slew of other indices such as BSE Midcap index, BSE100 index, various sectoral indices, top gainers, losers on the BSE webpage.
As of September 2017, the Sensex index had the following stocks as its constituents: Wipro, Coal India, HDFC, ITC, M&M, Tata Motors, Power Grid, Maruti, Kotak Bank, HDFC Bank, TCS, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, NTPC, Asian Paint, Sun Pharma, Dr Reddy's, HUL, Infosys, Bajaj Auto, Cipla, Axis Bank, Lupin, Adani Ports, SBI, Hero MotoCorp, ICICI Bank, Reliance Industries, L&T and Tata Steel.