- BSE signs MoU with Maharashtra govt to encourage SME listing19-01-2021 16:57In this regard, BSE has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the government of Maharashtra, the exchange said in a statement.
- NSE-BSE bulk deals: SBM Bank sells stake in Sri Krishna Construction, Benara Bearings19-01-2021 16:08Shares of Benara Bearings ended 2.9 per cent lower at Rs. 9.98 on the BSE
- Sebi slaps Rs 27 lakh fine on entity for misusing clients' fund19-01-2021 14:03A joint inspection was conducted by Sebi, BSE, NSE and Central Depository Services India Ltd (CSDL) into the broking and depository participant operations of Asit C Mehta Investment Intermediaries from April 2017 to September 2018.
- Tech View: Nifty bulls come roaring, eyes 14,560 level19-01-2021 12:39Aditya Agarwala of YES Securities said a sustained trade above the 14,560 mark would extend the gains to 14,650 and 14,800 levels.
- Sensex rallies 834 pts, logs best single-day gain in 4 months; Nifty reclaims 14,500 level19-01-2021 11:00Equity benchmark Sensex soared 834 points on Tuesday, tracking strong gains in index majors HDFC twins, ICICI Bank and Reliance Industries amid an upbeat trend in global markets. The 30-share BSE index ended 834.02 points or 1.72 per cent higher at 49,398.29. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty surged 239.85 points or 1.68 per cent to 14,521.15.Sensex rallies 834 pts, logs best single-day gain in 4 months; Nifty reclaims 14,500 level
- D-St rally in numbers: Top 3 add Rs 49,000 crore, 367 stocks at 52-week highs19-01-2021 10:55The 834-point rally for Sensex was its biggest since September 25, 2019. Nifty reclaimed 14,500 after two sessions of wait, lifting combined market values of three most valued companies by Rs 49,200 crore.
- Jubilant Foodworks Ltd. shares down 1.01% as Nifty gains19-01-2021 08:47A total of 19,742 shares changed hands on the counter till 02:16PM (IST).
- Indus Towers Ltd. shares down 0.29% as Nifty gains19-01-2021 08:41A total of 87,531 shares changed hands on the counter till 02:11PM (IST).
- Bandhan Bank Ltd. shares gain 1.22% as Sensex rises19-01-2021 08:36On the technical charts, the RSI of the stock stood at 38.31.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. stock price down 0.43 per cent as Sensex climbs19-01-2021 08:26As of 31-Dec-2020, promoters held 51.57 per cent stake in the company, while FIIs held 15.92 per cent and domestic institutional investors had 15.45 per cent.
The Sensex, also known as the sensitivity index, is the benchmark index of BSE Limited and is the most widely tracked equity gauge in India.
Officially known as the S&P BSE Sensex since February, 2013, the index captures the performance of the top 30 largest, most liquid and financially stable companies from across major sectors of the Indian economy that are listed on the exchange. It reflects the health of the equity market, investor sentiment and broadly the state of the economy.
The Sensex was launched on January 1, 1986, with the base value of 100 set on April 1, 1979. The credit for coining the term, Sensex, goes to Deepak Mohoni, a stock market analyst and IIT, Kanpur graduate and IIM, Calcutta alumnus.
As of September 20, 2017, the index was hovering above the 30,000 mark. It is the oldest index in the country, while the Bombay Stock Exchange, now called BSE Limited, is the oldest exchange in Asia.
The Sensex is managed and operated by a joint venture between BSE and S&P Dow Jones Indices, a global index manager. The composition of the Sensex is recast or modified from time to time to represent the true composition of the market.
Stocks in the eligible universe must satisfy the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for inclusion in the Sensex. First of all, the stocks must have a listing history of at least six months on BSE. An exception may be granted if the average float-adjusted market capitalisation of a newly-listed stock ranks in the top 10 of all stocks listed on BSE. In such a case, the minimum listing history required is one month.
The qualified stock has to trade on every trading day on BSE during the six-month reference period. Also, the eligible companies must have reported revenues for the preceding four quarters.
BSE on December 6, 2016 launched the S&P BSE Sensex50 index, which is designed to measure the performance of the 50 largest and most liquid companies within the S&P BSE100 index.
Investors, traders and anyone keen on the equity market can track Sensex quotes live on BSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and countless other websites and TV channels from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm on all weekdays. Financial markets in India remain closed on Saturday, Sunday and on select public holidays such as Independence Day, Holi, Republic Day, etc.
Sensex live graphs and figures are available on the BSE website. Besides Sensex live updates, one can also track real-time data of a slew of other indices such as BSE Midcap index, BSE100 index, various sectoral indices, top gainers, losers on the BSE webpage.
As of September 2017, the Sensex index had the following stocks as its constituents: Wipro, Coal India, HDFC, ITC, M&M, Tata Motors, Power Grid, Maruti, Kotak Bank, HDFC Bank, TCS, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, NTPC, Asian Paint, Sun Pharma, Dr Reddy's, HUL, Infosys, Bajaj Auto, Cipla, Axis Bank, Lupin, Adani Ports, SBI, Hero MotoCorp, ICICI Bank, Reliance Industries, L&T and Tata Steel.