- Tech View: Nifty forms indecisive Doji, may disrupt the ongoing rally20-11-2019 11:46Before closing 59 points, higher at 11,999, the index hit an intraday high of 12,038.
- F&O: Nifty's immediate hurdle intact in 12,100 – 12,150 zone; VIX drops 1.62%20-11-2019 11:38Nifty50 opened positive on Wednesday on the back of a gap-up opening in selective index heavyweights.
- Sensex zooms 182 pts, Nifty ends just shy of 12,000; RIL raliies over 2%20-11-2019 11:27Market benchmark Sensex rose 182 points to end near its record peak on Wednesday, led by strong gains in Reliance Industries, Sun Pharma and IndusInd Bank. After scaling a lifetime (intra-day) high of 40,816.38, the 30-share index ended 181.94 points, or 0.45 per cent, higher at 40,651.64. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty closed just shy of the 12,000 mark, advancing 59 points, or 0.49 per cent, to end at 11,999.10. Reliance Industries led the gains on Sensex, settling 2.47 per cent higher after it touched its life-time high of Rs 1,571.85 (intra-day) after the company's telecom arm, Reliance Jio, announced tariff hikes in the next few weeks.Sensex zooms 182 pts, Nifty ends just shy of 12,000; RIL raliies over 2%
- Sensex jumps 182 pts, Nifty just shy of 12,000; RIL, Sun Pharma surge20-11-2019 10:42The 30-share Sensex scaled fresh record high of 40,816.38 in intraday trade.
- Share market update: BSE Capital Goods index up; Havells rises 1%20-11-2019 06:24The S&P BSE Capital Goods index was trading 0.46 per cent up at 17,817.50.
- Top intraday trading ideas for afternoon trade on Wednesday, November 20, 201920-11-2019 05:53Jindal Steel is a 'Buy' call with a target price of Rs 155 and a stop loss of Rs 135.
- Share market update: BSE Oil & Gas index up; RIL, HPCL among top gainers20-11-2019 05:26The S&P BSE Oil & Gas index was trading 1.26 per cent up at 15425.05 .
- Hopeless cases! These stocks need up to 3,000% rise to hit 52-week highs20-11-2019 05:25If these stocks are to touch new record highs, they would need a rally of 1,50,000 per cent!
- Nifty tops 12,000, Sensex scales fresh all-time high20-11-2019 04:22Broader market indices traded in tandem with their headline peers.
- Sensex rises 150 points, Nifty nears 12,000; RIL surges 3%20-11-2019 04:14OPENING BELL: Sensex gains 100 points, Nifty nears 12,000; Vodafone Idea surges 20%, UCO Bank 11%Sensex rises 150 points, Nifty nears 12,000; RIL surges 3%
The Sensex, also known as the sensitivity index, is the benchmark index of BSE Limited and is the most widely tracked equity gauge in India.
Officially known as the S&P BSE Sensex since February, 2013, the index captures the performance of the top 30 largest, most liquid and financially stable companies from across major sectors of the Indian economy that are listed on the exchange. It reflects the health of the equity market, investor sentiment and broadly the state of the economy.
The Sensex was launched on January 1, 1986, with the base value of 100 set on April 1, 1979. The credit for coining the term, Sensex, goes to Deepak Mohoni, a stock market analyst and IIT, Kanpur graduate and IIM, Calcutta alumnus.
As of September 20, 2017, the index was hovering above the 30,000 mark. It is the oldest index in the country, while the Bombay Stock Exchange, now called BSE Limited, is the oldest exchange in Asia.
The Sensex is managed and operated by a joint venture between BSE and S&P Dow Jones Indices, a global index manager. The composition of the Sensex is recast or modified from time to time to represent the true composition of the market.
Stocks in the eligible universe must satisfy the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for inclusion in the Sensex. First of all, the stocks must have a listing history of at least six months on BSE. An exception may be granted if the average float-adjusted market capitalisation of a newly-listed stock ranks in the top 10 of all stocks listed on BSE. In such a case, the minimum listing history required is one month.
The qualified stock has to trade on every trading day on BSE during the six-month reference period. Also, the eligible companies must have reported revenues for the preceding four quarters.
BSE on December 6, 2016 launched the S&P BSE Sensex50 index, which is designed to measure the performance of the 50 largest and most liquid companies within the S&P BSE100 index.
Investors, traders and anyone keen on the equity market can track Sensex quotes live on BSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and countless other websites and TV channels from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm on all weekdays. Financial markets in India remain closed on Saturday, Sunday and on select public holidays such as Independence Day, Holi, Republic Day, etc.
Sensex live graphs and figures are available on the BSE website. Besides Sensex live updates, one can also track real-time data of a slew of other indices such as BSE Midcap index, BSE100 index, various sectoral indices, top gainers, losers on the BSE webpage.
As of September 2017, the Sensex index had the following stocks as its constituents: Wipro, Coal India, HDFC, ITC, M&M, Tata Motors, Power Grid, Maruti, Kotak Bank, HDFC Bank, TCS, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, NTPC, Asian Paint, Sun Pharma, Dr Reddy's, HUL, Infosys, Bajaj Auto, Cipla, Axis Bank, Lupin, Adani Ports, SBI, Hero MotoCorp, ICICI Bank, Reliance Industries, L&T and Tata Steel.