Nifty 50 News
- Tech View: Nifty forms indecisive Doji, may disrupt the ongoing rally20-11-2019 11:46Before closing 59 points, higher at 11,999, the index hit an intraday high of 12,038.
- F&O: Nifty's immediate hurdle intact in 12,100 – 12,150 zone; VIX drops 1.62%20-11-2019 11:38Nifty50 opened positive on Wednesday on the back of a gap-up opening in selective index heavyweights.
- Sensex zooms 182 pts, Nifty ends just shy of 12,000; RIL raliies over 2%20-11-2019 11:27Market benchmark Sensex rose 182 points to end near its record peak on Wednesday, led by strong gains in Reliance Industries, Sun Pharma and IndusInd Bank. After scaling a lifetime (intra-day) high of 40,816.38, the 30-share index ended 181.94 points, or 0.45 per cent, higher at 40,651.64. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty closed just shy of the 12,000 mark, advancing 59 points, or 0.49 per cent, to end at 11,999.10. Reliance Industries led the gains on Sensex, settling 2.47 per cent higher after it touched its life-time high of Rs 1,571.85 (intra-day) after the company's telecom arm, Reliance Jio, announced tariff hikes in the next few weeks.Sensex zooms 182 pts, Nifty ends just shy of 12,000; RIL raliies over 2%
- Sensex jumps 182 pts, Nifty just shy of 12,000; RIL, Sun Pharma surge20-11-2019 10:42The 30-share Sensex scaled fresh record high of 40,816.38 in intraday trade.
- Share market update: Nifty Financial Services index up; Edelweiss gains 3%20-11-2019 06:40The Nifty Financial Services index was trading 0.3 per cent up at 14,051.30.
- Share market update: Nifty Pharma index up; Glenmark Pharma rises 2%20-11-2019 04:31The Nifty Pharma index was trading 1.03 per cent up at 7932.05 .
- Nifty tops 12,000, Sensex scales fresh all-time high20-11-2019 04:22Broader market indices traded in tandem with their headline peers.
- Sensex rises 150 points, Nifty nears 12,000; RIL surges 3%20-11-2019 04:14OPENING BELL: Sensex gains 100 points, Nifty nears 12,000; Vodafone Idea surges 20%, UCO Bank 11%Sensex rises 150 points, Nifty nears 12,000; RIL surges 3%
- Trade setup: Big rally unlikely as Nifty50 to consolidate a bit more19-11-2019 14:27Wednesday’s session may see a flat start, with 11,995 & 12,050 levels acting as resistance.
- Tech View: Nifty50 forms small bullish candle, needs to top 12,00019-11-2019 11:15Tuesday’s recovery was on the back of negative advance-decline ratio.
Nifty 50 Performance
The Nifty is the flagship benchmark of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), which is a well-diversified index, comprising top 50 companies in terms of free-float market capitalisation that are traded on the bourse. It is supposed to reflect the health of the listed universe of Indian companies, and hence the broader economy, in all market conditions.
Officially called the Nifty50, the index is computed using the free float market capitalisation method, which is essentially the count of shares in active circulation in the market at any given point of time.
The Nifty, just like BSE benchmark Sensex, is today used for benchmarking portfolios and returns of mutual fund schemes and launching index funds.
The Nifty index was launched on April 22, 1996, with a base value of 1,000 counted from November 3, 1995. Live Nifty quotes are available on NSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and numerous other web platforms and TV channels at any point of time.
The Nifty brand and indices are managed by the Mumbai-based India Index Services and Products Limited, IISL in short, which itself is a subsidiary of NSE. IISL has a three-tier governance structure comprising the board of directors, the index policy committee and the index maintenance sub-committee. IISL managed some 67 indices under the Nifty brand as of September 30, 2016.
IISL rebalances the Nifty index semi-annually. The cut-off dates for the semi-annual review of the index are January 31 and July 31 each year. Average data for the six months ending the cut-off date is considered. The exchange notifies any change in the index four weeks before such changes take effect.
There are defined eligibility criteria for selection of Nifty constituent stocks. The liquidity of a stock is measured by the market impact cost, which is essentially the cost involved in transacting a stock. For a stock to qualify for inclusion in the Nifty50, it must have traded at an average impact cost of 0.50 per cent or less for six months and for 90 per cent of observation cases.
Besides, the company must have a listing history of at least six months. However, a newly-listed company, which has just got listed through the IPO route, may become eligible for inclusion in the index, if it fulfils the normal eligibility criteria for a three- month period instead of six months.
Only those stocks which are eligible for trade in the F&O segment of NSE are considered for inclusion as Nifty constituents.
As of September 20, 2017, the Nifty had 35.73 per cent components from the financial services sector, 14 per cent from the energy sector, 11.46 per cent from the information technology sector, 10.64 per cent from the automobile sector and 10.13 per cent from the consumer goods sector. Six of the nine BFSI companies in the Nifty50 were private banks.
The Nifty index also has several variants such as Nifty Junior, Nifty50 USD, Nifty50 Total Returns index and NIFTY50 Dividend Points Index.