Almost 17 million women lost their jobs in the first month of lockdown alone, data released by the CMIE showed.
Govt slashed basic corporate tax rate to 22% from 30% while for new manufacturing companies it has been cut down to 15% from 25%.
Serious consideration for a defence financing corporation, along the lines of the Indian Railways Finance Corporation, is needed.
GST is still a complicated regime with varying slabs, not easy to comprehend or comply with, and open to interpretation.
As growth is poised to dip into negative, the budget should cut fiscal restraints as much as possible.
Low interest rates & high inflation have yielded nil or even negative returns.
India is expected to grow at 10% next fiscal to become one of the fastest-growing economies in Asia-Pasific.
One of the three major drivers for high inflation during the pandemic is the huge disruptions in the supply side factors.
The credit-starved Indian market provides a opportunity for universal banks to explore and grow profitably.
Automakers like Ford and GM feel unwanted, as evidenced in high taxes & levies on luxury car items.
There is no obvious magic wand to deliver a quick cure. Govt needs to boost business & consumer confidence.
At 4%, India’s total healthcare expenditure as a % of GDP is amongst the lowest globally.
Budget 2021-22 must re-orient expenditure in the right direction to get maximum bang for the buck.
It would be safer to expect that jobs wouldn’t come flooding to a job seeker in the new year.
- Fiscal deficit: Walking a tightropeAn elevated deficit has large and long-lasting implications on many other factors of the economy.
- Rupee's post-pandemic courseThe Rupee is likely to trade in the narrow range of 71-73.5 as traders expect relative stable exchange rate
- A pandemic era realty checkFavourable market conditions and the need to own a home on grounds of safety is expected to fuel demand in the property markets in 2021.
- Pre-Budget India P&L statementThe country’s trade balance has also benefited from reduced imports from China as well as lower oil prices.
- Manufacturing not out of the woods yetUnder Modi 2.0, manufacturing output contracted in 11 out of the 19 months since FY20.
- Agri stands out in the year of the pandemicDuring the April to June 2020, agriculture was the only sector to register growth.
- Making sense of govt's GDP dataGrowth had been on a steady decline since the last quarter of FY18, save for a marginal 0.1% sequential increase in Q4FY19.
- Jobs: A prime cause for concern for FMUrban employment in India in the January-March quarter 2020 stood at 9.1%, higher than 7.9% in the preceding quarter.
- Looking back at a year unlike anyThe year 2020 would go down in the annals of history as one of uncertainty, pessimism and return of hope.
- Services sector loses more steam in DecThe IHS Markit India Services Business Activity Index dropped to 52.3 in December from 53.7 in November.
- It's been raining foreign moneyWith repayments exceeding disbursals during the quarter, external commercial borrowings worth $4.2 billion were reversed.
Markets & Budget
- Markets to stay volatile till Budget Day, expect weakness in PSU pack
- NBFCs seek TDS exemption on interest income
- Budget 2021: Spend, as there is tomorrow
- What can the Budget do to direct and indirect taxes?
- Covid cess unlikely to move market: Sanjay Dutt, Quantum Securities
- 4 priorities government should focus on in Budget 2021: Sonal Varma, Nomura
- Growth will come back in 2021, go easy on protectionism: Swaminathan Aiyar
Budget Trending TermsIndia budgetRaghuram RajanNirmala SitharamanBudget expectationsBudgetWhat is Union BudgetTypes of government budgetBudget 2021Budget dateBudget FAQsFiscal policyWhat is Divestment?Income Tax Calculator
Budget 2021: Lower stamp duty for home buyers, funds for stressed projects, among Real Estate segment's wishlist
Union Budget 2021 goes paperless: Hard copies not be printed for the first time since Independence
Taxes & You
- Why easing taxpayers' load in this budget is a good idea
- Budget 2021: The tax wishlist of the common man
- Budget may offer new direct tax dispute resolution framework
- Salaried expect tax relief on work from home expenses in Budget 2021
There are two ways to do a stimulus. Either GoI spends more, or it earns/spends less leaving more money to households and firms to spend/invest. It could also include cash transfers to the poor. Which of these ways should Nirmala Sitharaman's budget focus on more?Click to Comment
Sectors In Focus
- Covishield not to be taken by people severely allergic to any of its ingredients: Serum In...
- States look to keep healthcare services running amid vaccination drive
- Covaxin company warns people with medical conditions not to take jab
- Healthcare sector's revenue expected to grow 20 per cent in 2021-22: Report
- Indian companies prepare to buy vaccines for employees
- Caplin Point arm inks strategic partnership with Canada's JAMP Pharma Group
- India Inc readies inoculation plan for staff, wants govt to consider this as part of their...
- Seropositivity for COVID-19 found to be lesser in smokers, vegetarians: CSIR survey
- Metropolis Healthcare to acquire Hitech Diagnostic Centre in a cash, stock deal
- 2,24,301 beneficiaries given vaccine so far; 447 cases of adverse effect reported: Health ...
- Rising health awareness amid the pandemic set to accelerate sale and visibility of premium...
- Falling gold prices boost jewellery demand up by 10-20%
- Oppo India in process to file 80 patents, enhance focus on 5G
- ASCI bans surrogate advertising of 12 liquor companies
- Gem, jewellery sector viewed as thrust area for export promotion: Puri
- Indian garment exporters start getting orders again with Covid-19 vaccination roll out
- Urban demand picks up after 3 quarters; though rural growth still robust
- Apparel prices to remain soft in second half of current fiscal: Report
- Dabur forays into ghee category
- Samsung unveils flagship Galaxy S21 series, Buds Pro
- Setback for Amazon as India plans rework of e-commerce FDI policy
- Dunzo lands $40 million in funding from new and existing investors
- Licious eyes $80 million in funding at $800 million valuation
- Salesforce makes its maiden India investment in Darwinbox
- WhatsApp Pay doubles its UPI transactions volume month-on-month
- Zerodha CEO bats for more fintech in India's mutual fund space
- Nearly two-thirds of auto industry loan requirements met by private, foreign lenders: Repo...
- Tata Motors receives 98 patents in 2020
- JBM Auto bags order from DTC for supply of 700 BS-VI compliant AC low-floor CNG buses
- Escorts becomes first company to get regulatory nod to sell electric tractors in India
- Entry of Tesla in India doesn't worry us: Mercedes-Benz
- Maruti Suzuki hikes prices of select vehicles by up to Rs 34,000
- Lexus launches new variant of its flagship sedan LS at Rs 2.22 crore
- General Motors India exit hits a speed breaker, plant closure may stall on differences wit...
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor ties up with government for skilling youths
- Tata Motors ties up with private lenders for commercial vehicles financing
- Man Industries bags orders worth Rs 250 crore
- Steel companies engage with vaccine makers for bulk supply of doses for employees
- Wave group approaches High Court to seek protection to carry out work at Ghaziabad project
- L&T bags up to Rs 5,000 crore order from Rail Vikas Nigam in Uttarakhand
- NMDC sets 100 MT iron ore production target by 2030
- GE T&D to sell global engineering operation division to GE India Industrial for Rs 87 cror...
- Top steelmakers in que to secure vaccine shots for employees and healthcare workers
- Tata's 'clean' steel behind new care home VisitorPods in UK
- L&T receives multiple orders in domestic market
- Cabinet approves mining reforms
- Exporters await implementation of last year’s budget announcement, pin hopes on new scheme...
- Small businesses looking to sell online face a GST anomaly: FISME's Animesh Saxena
- Budget 2021: Chemical sector should be included in PLI scheme, says Parag Jhaveri of Yasho...
- A chance to bridge India's competitiveness gap of $80 billion
- Tax policy changes to boost post Covid-19 economic recovery
- Global economic outlook dims on virus’s surge ahead of vaccines
- Exporters in a post-Covid world need finance and favourable trade winds
- Pack it, ship it: Covid and surge of online shopping amps up an entire sector
- What is India selling to the world in the middle of a pandemic?
- Factory workers are returning, to labour and an uncertain life
Common Man's Budget
- Give cash incentives to women to enter the workforce and reap rewards
- The very real problem of "she-cession" and what Nirmala Sitharaman can do to undo it
- Ideas for a better Budget: Women’s health, maternal leave and safety
- Job creation, lower taxes, fiscal stimulus, fast-track reforms: Consumer companies' Budget demand
बजट हिंदी में
- बजट 2021: क्या सीतारमण के बहीखाते में वे चीजें शामिल होंगी जिसे वे भूलती रही हैं
- आम बजट से पहले राज्य के वित्त मंत्रियों से निर्मला सीतारमण ने की चर्चा
- मोदी सरकार में निवेशकों, घर खरीदारों और वरिष्ठ नागरिकों को अब तक क्या मिला?
- यूनियन बजट: फूड आइटम्स की डिलीवरी पर जीएसटी घटाकर 5% करने की मांग